The SP3485 RS-485 transceiver IC is used on this breakout board to convert a UART serial stream to RS-485. The SP3485 is a half-duplex transceiver, which means it can only transmit in one direction at a time, although it can achieve transmission speeds of up to 10Mbps. This board uses very little power and may be powered by a single +3.3VDC source.
The SP3485 RS-485 transceiver, filter capacitor, and other components specified on the schematic are included on this breakout board. The RS-485 output has been separated into three connections: (1) an RJ-45 connector, (2) a 3-pin 3.55mm screw terminal, and (3) a 3-pin 0.1″ pitch header; none of these output connectors are populated.
- Fully equipped with SP3485 RS-485 transceiver and supporting components
- Operates from a single +3.3V supply
- Interoperable with +5.0V logic
- RS-485 input/output broken out to RJ-45 connector, 3.5mm screw terminal, and 0.1″ pitch header
- Driver/Receiver Enable connected to RTS line
- -7V to +12V Common-Mode Input Voltage Range
- Allows up to 32 transceivers on the serial bus
- Driver Output Short-Circuit Protection
- 1 x SparkFun Transceiver Breakout – RS485