It is used for many applications like wireless headsets, game controllers, wireless mice, wireless keyboards, and many more consumer applications. It has a range of up to <100m which depends upon the transmitter and receiver, atmosphere, geographic & urban conditions. It is an IEEE 802.15.1 standardized protocol, through which one can build a wireless Personal Area Network (PAN). It uses frequency-hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) radio technology to send data over the air. It uses serial communication to communicate with devices. It communicates with a microcontroller using a serial port (USART).
HC-05 module Information
- HC-05 has a red LED which indicates the connection status, whether the Bluetooth is connected or not. Before connecting to the HC-05 module this red LED blinks continuously in a periodic manner. When it gets connected to any other Bluetooth device, its blinking slows down to two seconds.
- This module works on 3.3V. We can connect 5V supply voltage as well since the module has on board a 5 to 3.3 V regulator.
- As the HC-05 Bluetooth module has a 3.3V level for RX/TX and the microcontroller can detect a 3.3 V level, so, no need to shift the transmit level of the HC-05 module. However, we need to shift the transmit voltage level from the microcontroller to the RX of the HC-05 module.
- The data transfer rate of the HC-05 module can vary up to 1Mbps in the range of 10 meters.
- Bluetooth version: 2.0 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
- Frequency: 2.4 GHz ISM band
- Modulation: GFSK (Gaussian Frequency Shift Keying)
- Transmit power: Class 2 (up to 4 dBm)
- Sensitivity: -80 dBm typical
- Range: approximately 10 meters (or 33 feet) in open air
- Profiles supported: SPP (Serial Port Profile), HID (Human Interface Device) and others
- Operating voltage: 3.3V to 5V DC
- Operating current: less than 50mA
- Standby current: less than 2.5mA
- Sleep current: less than 1mA
- Interface: UART (Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter)
- Baud rates: 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 230400, and 460800
- Operating temperature: -20°C to 75°C (-4°F to 167°F)
- 1 x Bluetooth HC-05 Module